The baby afghans are finished, and the babies are here! Annabelle arrived early in March. Jace arrived in late April. Both families had few complications and are happy and healthy.
I made Rainbow Diamonds in darker colors for Jace. Once again I ignored the recommended yarn weight. I used the Sugar & Cream and Peaches & Cream brands. Mostly it was Peaches & Cream, but their black looked like black fabric does after it has been washed and faded.
I had a few casualties due to using this yarn with my D hook. I used a total of 4 hooks thanks to breaking them while I was working. I broke 2 aluminum hooks and 1 steel hook.
Probably thanks to using yarn that was heavier than the hooks should have been used for, this afghan ended up being bubbled. It doesn’t exactly lay flat. I think that makes it a little more interesting. It’s hard to get a good picture that shows the bubble effect.
I think using the black background helped to give it a more masculine effect for a baby boy than the white background in the book.
The hooks were not the only things to break during construction of this afghan. Unfortunately I have used this book too much. The pages had started falling out a while ago, but I was just sticking them back in it and hoping not to lose them. Finally it was just too much paper to keep track of it all.
Refusing to lose this book once again, I knew I had to do something about it. I got some page protectors and a binder. I carefully took each page out of the original binding and put them in their own protectors inside the binder. The cover to the book is now the cover to the binder. Now I don’t have to worry about spilling anything on the pages! Being in the binder does make the book a lot bigger and heavier, but I can take out a single pattern for travel and put it back later.